My name is Denise Hibben, I am a trained Doula, Traditional Birth Attendant, Birth Servant, and forever a student of Midwifery.
I am a mother of 5 children, two born in the hospital, one born in a birth center, one born at home, and one born by emergency c-section.
1. Birth is inherently safe. It is a natural biological function of women. More complications are caused by the unnecessary interventions that are meant to “save” women from birth, than birth itself. The safest birth of all is undisturbed, physiologic birth.
2. That mothers own birth, no one else. Not doctors, midwives, doulas, hospitals or anyone else. Just mothers.
3. Pregnancy and Birth affect who we are. How we are born, the way our mothers were treated during pregnancy and birth, and how we, ourselves were handled and treated as newborns really affects how we view the ourselves, our families, the people we come into contact with, and the very world that we live in. The proof is in the evidence.
4. Every woman has the right to choose where, how and with whom they birth their babies. I believe that EVERY family has the right to choose how they greet their baby, regardless of where they choose to birth.
5. The Pregnant woman is the only direct care provider to her unborn baby, and she has a responsibility to herself and to her baby to educate herself on pregnancy and birth, giving herself and her baby the best start possible. Doctors, midwives and doulas are simply paid consultants hired by the mother and her partner to be part of her birth team.
6. Breastfeeding is the Ideal nutrition for the newborn baby, and that breastfeeding should be kept up for two years or longer, if possible, to ensure a healthy baby, a healthy child, and a healthy mother.
I have attended all types of births, including natural and unmedicated, c-section, vbac (vaginal birth after c-section) and both in- and out-of-hospital births. I support and educate pregnant women and their families in their choices regarding birth, no matter where or with whom they choose to birth.
I look forward to getting to know you and your family and helping you to achieve the birth you hope for
This is me, pregnant with Baby #5. Photograph by The Birth Photographer, copyright 2010